Slide

History

Krapi Estate is first mentioned in Tuusula maps as early as in the 17th Century.
Krapi is one of the 7 original family estates in Tuusula municipality. In the 19th
century the master of the estate was Henrik Krapi. His son Karl August Michelsson Krapi relocated the outbuilding with its storehouses to its current location and had a new main building built.

Councillor of State G.F. Sourander bought Krapi Estate for his summer
residence in 1882. Current Krapi main building, which was designed by architect
F.W.Mieritz, was finished by the next year’s midsummer.

A young couple from Orimattila Klas and Maiju Holma bought the estate in
1911. They started a systematic development of the estate and focused on dairy
farming. The new, impressive cattle stable was finished in 1917. Klas Holma was
executed in the civil war and Maiju was left to take care of Krapi alone with her
two children. Maiju later remarried to Onni Lustig who established a beach, known
as Krapi Riviera, where many of the Helsinki socialites among others spent
their lazy summer days.

Krapi ownership passed to Kauko and Maire Holma in 1936. The development
of dairy farming continued successfully. The Holmas also started pig farming. In the 1950s Kauko Holma was the executive director of the Finnish Ayshire association and thus the concrete work on the farm was mainly left to Maire Holma. During summers Maire ran the estate as a boarding house. The same families would come over year after year to spend their summers at Krapi.

Matti and Salme Holma took charge of Krapi in 1970. Salme had organised
Krapi Sunday lunches in the summer already since the late 1960s. Guests would come long distances to enjoy traditional cooking prepared with fresh ingredients from the farm. Matti and Salme Holma started to develop the estate into a new direction. First the downstairs of the Krapihovi building was converted into a restaurant and later the restaurant operation took over the entire old building. The master and mistress of the estate with their children moved to the old pig sty, which was converted into a new residence. The last cows left Krapi in 1984 and a new era had begun.

Tuusula Golf Course can thank Matti Holma and his friends for its existence.
The eager men bitten by the golf bug had first a driving range built on the property
and later converted the fields into a 9-hole golf course.The first indoor practice space operated in the attic of Krapi stables.Tuusula Golf Course was expanded into a full 19-whole golf course in 1990.

The chimneyless sauna was built on its current location by the lake in 1988,
the stables were converted into a hotel in 1977 and the Ateljeeri-restaurant was finished in 1991. Matti and Salme Holma’s children, Anne and Pekka, took over Krapihovi in 1994 and they continued the strong development, which included building Mankeli –granary and starting up both Hella cooking school and the curehouse. Keski Uusimaa -summer theatre started operating in Krapi –grounds in 2002.

Today the story continues in the kitchen. It is made up of seasonal changes, pure
Finnish ingredients, and of the history of the house. Delicious food is made with
love of the available ingredients to suit every taste, no ingredient is wasted nor skimped on.

In addition to Restaurant Krapihovi main building, Krapi yards house a
curehouse, an old granary, Alitupa-lodge, a wine cellar, Restaurant Mankeli
with its beer garden, Krapi Hotel in the converted cattle stables, and a summer
theatre. The adjacent golf course has a clubhouse and Golf Ateljeeri Cafe and if
you follow the windingroad through the golf course to Tuusula Lake you find
Krapi’s chimneyless sauna by the lakeside.

Krapi is a true Finnish setting… homemade food prepared with care and hospitality in a villa atmosphere. The soup is flavoured with the rich cultural heritage of the area as well as with contemporary live entertainment.